The population of Mansfield grew to 400 by 1884. The town encouraged John Collier to establish a coeducational school, Mansfield Male and Female College, in 1869. The Mansfield Independent School District purchased the school grounds in 1909 and later made them the campus of a junior high school. The Texas State Gazetteer and Business Directory for 1890–91 described Mansfield as "prosperous." That year the community had 1,000 residents, four churches, two schools, two mills, a cotton gin, and numerous retail businesses. The town incorporated in 1909 and remained a hub for the surrounding farming region. Its population fluctuated from 627 in 1914 to 1,000 in 1927 and 635 in 1933. In 1949 the town had 1,200 residents and thirty-one businesses. In 1956 the school district became the first in Texas to receive a federal court order for racial integration, and the disturbance that followed received national attention (see MANSFIELD SCHOOL DESEGREGATION INCIDENT).
As the Dallas-Fort Worth area grew, the population of Mansfield increased from 1,375 in 1961 to 5,000 by 1974, when employees working in the larger neighboring cities transformed the town from a rural community into a modern suburb. Civic leaders promoted Mansfield and allowed graduate students from the Institute of Urban Studies at the University of Texas at Arlington to renovate the downtown area in the early 1970s. Mansfield also developed two 400-acre industrial parks, and the Carnation Company established a Mansfield can-manufacturing plant that became a major employer. By 1982 Mansfield reported 8,000 residents and 227 businesses. It had 10,733 residents and 267 businesses in 1988. In 1990 it had a population of 15,607 and had grown into Ellis County. The population grew to 28,031 by 2000.
Repost from THSA