By 1892 the population had grown to between 600 and 800. At least twenty-five businesses made up the business district, including two cotton gins, two general stores, a drugstore, a hardware and farm-implement store, a livery stable, a lumberyard, a saddle and harness shop, a millinery shop, a confectionery, a furniture store, three groceries, a hotel, a bakery, a barbershop, a blacksmith and wagon-repair shop, and a weekly newspaper called the Visitor. The Polytechnic Academy (later Institute), a private boarding school, offered a full curriculum with emphasis in the fine arts. It carried the names of Whitten Institute and Midlothian College before being consolidated into the public school system in 1903. A Texas historical marker is on the site in Kimmel Park. By 1896 Midlothian had a population of 1,000 and sixty-two businesses, including the Argus newspaper. The Midlothian Oil Mill and Gin, founded in 1898, was a three-press mill. At its peak it was a fourteen-gin operation.
Before 1929 and the Great Depression many businesses flourished. Some enjoyed substantial trade that included foreign markets. In the 1980s Midlothian, which called itself the "Cement Capitol of Texas," had major industries, including producers of Portland cement and steel. Midlothian also serves as a distribution center for foreign imports. The population rose gradually from 1,175 in the early 1950s to 5,087 in the 1980s, when the city had 120 businesses. Beginning in the mid-1970s Midlothian saw an influx of residents from Dallas and Fort Worth, who built homes on unused farmland outside of town. Though Midlothian proper was left essentially unchanged, the school district expanded to 20,000 students. In 1990 the population was 5,141. The population was 7,480 with 486 businesses in 2000.
Repost from THSA