If you decide that you want to make your own cover, you should make sure that you are very careful about the design and that you use patience in its building.
1. The first thing you want to do is measure the pump. You need to have ample room inside the cover for the pump, accessories, wiring and piping, as well as room to be able to see inside or have access to the set up inside. If you have only just ordered your pump and want to get a jump start on the cover, call the company you purchased from and ask them for measurements and if they can email you a copy of the diagram so you can plan for the design of the cover.
2. Make sure that you are leaving ample materials and space for any cut outs that you need, such as outlets. It is best to take every measurement possible and make a list of them. Once you have your list of them, you can determine how much material is needed and you can work on your design plan. Having a paper copy of the pump can help with the preplanning stage.
3. Choose your material carefully. You want a material that can withstand heat from the pump. Also consider the climate in which you live. You want something that will withstand heat in hotter climates, but will also protect your pump from damage in colder months. Make sure that you also plan for ventilation regardless of the climate.
4. Now that you have your materials, you want to make sure that you are placing the pump in a secure location that is level. Most people either build their cover on an existing patio area next to the pool or along the side of the house. You can also build a free standing cover, but make sure that the location is level. If you have a specific spot in mind that isn’t level, consider making a stable solid level platform.
5. Once you have your location, you can start your design. Make sure that you have it clearly detailed as to how you want it to look, where all your outlets and inlets need to be, and that you have measured them all before you assemble. Take your time in the building process. You are working on protecting a valuable piece of equipment and you want to ensure its safety.
These are the basic steps that you will need when you build a pool cover. More in depth designs and plans can require more steps than the ones provided here, but a basic foundation and beginning should get you pool pump cover ready in no time!