1. Marco Polo: The game of Marco Polo is certainly nothing new, but it comes with the added advantage of letting you cool off while still having fun. If your pool is not big enough for the whole family, you can decide to take turns, either way; you're sure of getting splashed.
2. Water Balloon Catch: This is another fun game you can play on a hot day that's guaranteed to help you cool off. To play, fill up balloons with water and play catch. Players divide themselves into teams with the participants moving one step away after each throw. Elimination can determine winners, that is, participants that get wet are out, and teams with the first three misses get struck out as well. If neither scenario occurs, the team that gets farthest from one another without missing a catch wins the game.
3. Bean Bag Ladder Toss: Bean bag ladder toss is one of the easiest games you can set up in your backyard. All you need is a ladder (which most of us have handy). To play, you mark out points on each ladder rung with the lowest rung having the lowest point. Challenge your kids to throw bean bags through and see who can get the highest score. Easy as A, B, C.
4. Tic Tac Toe: The classic game of tic tac toe played in your backyard. It's simple, requires next to no effort, and can provide hours of entertainment. All you’ll need is one wooden board, with some stones marked X's and O's and you're good to go.
5. Balloon Darts: Another simple and fun idea of a classic your kids can enjoy in the backyard. Instead of aiming at a target board, they aim at a wall of balloons. For scoring purposes, balloons can be filled with several items like water or confetti with water filled balloons having the highest score and plain balloons the lowest.
6. Fishing for Marbles: This game can be enjoyed by both kids and adults alike. To begin fill your inflatable pool, or tub, or bucket with water and throw in some marbles. Have participants try to fish out the marbles using only their toes. The player with the highest number of marbles wins. For added difficulty, instead of lukewarm water, the tub can be filled with freezing water.