In Kimmel Park a private boarding school called The Polytechnic Academy is remembered by a historical marker. It later became the Polytechnic Institute and then the Whitten Institute and Midlothian College before merging with the town's public schools in 1903.
By 1896 Midlothian was thriving with sixty-two businesses. Two years later the Midlothian Oil Mill and Gin Company opened - operating fourteen gins at its peak.
In the mid-1970s Midlothian started becoming a bedroom community of Dallas and Fort Worth although the downtown area has retained it's charm with the restoration of many of it's historic buildings.
In the 1980s Midlothian Texas became known as "The Cement Capitol of Texas."
Though Midlothian proper was left essentially unchanged, the school district has expanded greatly.
Re Post from Texas Escapes